Search This Blog

Saturday, May 18, 2019

I'm fine, thanks for asking!

       Why ask?! When you care for anyone with illness, it seems at first that everyone is of course very concerned about the said person, half of which will actually offer support but then half again will actually follow through and be there and visit. My God, I adore these people in life they are my heroes. They take the time out of their busy lives to just treat you normally and actually care and ask and visit and offer without giving you the guilt of having to actually ask for help. They don’t pretend to get it but they do remember your favourite Chinese dish and know how excited you would be over a latest product they picked up for you because only you’d get it. God they remind me who I am and I cherish that over everything. I am so lucky to have handful of people like this in my life...

However, the other 75% of the population of friends / acquaintances give you the:

"Hi how’s your husband? And daughter?", the passing by concern.

Of course, I always reply: "oh they are fine thank you", followed by them saying: 

"It must be hard" and me saying ‘yes it is’. 

They bid their farewells and off they pop out into the world feeling great because they actually asked and feel better for it.

      Now I don’t mean to sound like a cow here but HELLO !!!!!!! I am not only here but I am an integral part of this situation. A genuine "how are things with you?" on occasion wouldn’t go amiss. I work to pay all the bills, I care for my hubby and daughter whilst balancing not one but x2 very complex diaries, I clean my home and mow the lawns and balance the books, I ensure I spend quality time with my family and I help my daughter with her homework. I cook from scratch mostly 7 days a week whilst trying to fit in a couple of runs weekly so that my new found food addiction to cope with life doesn’t end up with me having heart disease and Type 2 diabetes - I am clearly not one that can be out of the game at this point. I also have to cancel nights out with friends I know sometimes I let them down because despite working my ass off my family need me and I don’t always have spare cash!! I’d rather none asked than just being emptily offered a "how are you?" because 9/10 times they just don’t want to know or are fishing for gossip.

      Generally I’m ok - thanks for asking. Some days I’m shit when you ask but I know you don’t really want to hear this and I hope you never ever have to deal with half of this. Just please do not give me the ‘look’ or the patronising ‘pity voice’, I don’t want or need it. I’d rather you just crossed the street because in fact I’m a busy woman. The whole illness process has in fact ensured I have a life filter. I no longer have time for the sympathy crap or the fair weather friends who are just around for the good times; you are either in it or out. I really don’t mind but dear god pick a side because our life is too precious to waste and I really just want positive people in it, who want to be there and if you don’t want to then that’s all fine with me I’m so good with that and I hold no malice towards anyone, trust me this shit is as hard as gets it!! Just please don’t ignore me or ask me how I am out of guilt or for gossip I just don’t have the energy for life drains anymore.


 This one is for me # youdecide #life legends #herestothat 25%ilove youdearly

No comments:

Post a Comment